February 3, 2011

More Disappointing News: The "100 Young Adult Books for the Feminist Reader" List

A list celebrating 100 feminist YA books?  Sounds good.  Written by BitchMedia, which isn't the powerhouse it once was, but still the producer of an awesome magazine? 
Tender Morsels

But then people started complaining in the list's comments and then books were replaced.  John Scalzi wrote a nice summary of the problem.  Scott Westerfeld wrote a longer argument that further explains how BitchMedia acted unprofessionally.  Karen Healey provided her own list, on which she has read all the books she's promoting.

Guardian of the Dead

Be sure to check out the links because there is excellent discussion going on.  At the very least, people are talking about feminist YA and what feminism means, which isn't a terrible thing at all.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the links! I've been following this ever since I first saw the list but didn't know about all the other posts. I agree it's great for us all to have a dialogue about feminism - many young women don't understand how it affects them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know about the discussion that's going on! I was too presonally creeped by Tender Morsels to read much of it, but it's always helpful to hear about what issues YA authors and readers are discussing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Leigh: I think it's also helpful since third-wave feminism is so undefined. I think it's very useful to determine what you personally think makes a strong woman and what is necessary to reach gender equality.

    @Tiger: I haven't read TM yet, although I own a copy. I'm a little afraid to start, but I've enjoyed several of Margo Lanagan's short stories.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...