July 10, 2013

Review: The Eternity Cure

Blood of Eden Book Two of the Blood of Eden
By Julie Kagawa
Available now from Harlequin Teen
Review copy

I avoided reading THE IMMORTAL RULES, the first book in the Blood of Eden series, for a long time because I wasn't a fan of Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey books.  But people kept saying that they didn't like the Iron Fey books, but they loved THE IMMORTAL RULES.  So I gave it a chance and liked it.

THE ETERNITY CURE picks up where THE IMMORTAL RULES leaves off.  Allie helped Zeke reach safe harbor, but she's not welcome since she's a vampire.  That's okay because she needs to leave to rescue Kanin.  Since he's her maker she can sense that he's in peril and track him down.  She's not the only one of Kanin's children seeking to help him, but that doesn't mean she can trust her brother-by-vampirism Jackal.

I loved how THE ETERNITY CURE built on the first book.  Characters return in different forms - some friendlier than before, some now enemies.  There's also more uncovered about the plague, and why some might not want it cured.  The romance also proceeds apace.  Zeke and Allie can now be open about their relationship, which means its a good time for them to start exploring the practicality of a human/vampire relationship.  For instance, should Allie turn Zeke if he's dying?

The best part of THE ETERNITY CURE might be that there's more Kanin.  Allie's vampire maker is a fascinating figure and an incredibly likeable one.  He's burdened by guilt, but he does his best to bring positive change to the world.  He refuses to not follow his principles, but he's more careful since he realizes just how big the consequences of his actions can be.

This is a great series for vampire fans.  There's lots of action, a touch of forbidden romance, and complicated relationships in a complicated world.  It's good enough to make me consider reading the Iron Fey again to see if I was wrong about those books.  I'm looking forward to the third book, especially after the dramatic events of the ending of THE ETERNITY CURE.

Who wants to guess what the cover of the third book will look like?  I'm happy this one doesn't have a white girl on the cover, since Allie is half-Japanese, but wish they'd put her face on the cover instead of the front flap after the brouhaha about THE IMMORTAL RULES cover.

8 comments:

  1. I liked Immortal Rules (surprising since I don't love scary books) and have this ARC on my TBR pile. Great review -- thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wouldn't say it's a scary book. At least not outright horror. Either way, I hope you enjoy this one too.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm...I did like Kanan, so maybe I will try this; I hadn't been planning to, though I thought the first book was perfectly fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fast-paced read; won't take much time if you do.

      Delete
  3. I really liked this one too! So happy to get more insight into Kanin and I loved Jackal too. I agree, I'd like to see Allie's face on the cover, but not if it's going to be white washed. Awesome review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this one a lot too (despite disliking the Iron Fey series). I am so anxious to find out what will happen in the third book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your's was probably one of the reviews I read that said that.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...