August 5, 2013

Review: Crash and Burn

Crash and Burn By Michael Hassan
Available now from Balzer + Bray (HarperCollins)
Review copy

CRASH AND BURN lingered in my to-read pile because Bookworm1858's review cooled my enthusiasm for it.  I gotta say, I think she hit a lot of the nails on the head.

CRASH AND BURN is an excellent book.  Michael Hassan is a powerful, talented writer.  CRASH AND BURN is his first novel and I'm quite excited to pick up his next book.  It tells the story of two boys whose lives are entwined.  Burn held his school hostage at gunpoint, planning to blow it up.  Crash stopped him.  The story moves back and forth in time, showing the boys' relationship since elementary and what happened to Crash after he became a hero.

The novel's biggest flaw is that Crash is a repulsive human being.  He's quite often a good guy and a sweet kid, but he could be a good guy and sweet kid all the time.  He chooses to do dumb things, things that are cruel and dangerous.  He drives when drunk and/or high.  He gets girls drunk and/or high to lower their inhibitions so they'll sleep with him.  He convinces those same wasted girls that they don't need to use condoms.

Crash's incredible grossness is balanced by the fact that CRASH AND BURN has some of the best female characters I've read lately, and a lot of them point out that his behavior sucks.  The girl who looms the largest is probably Roxanne Burnett, the older sister of Burn.  I was more curious about what would happen to her than to the school, because I couldn't fail to notice that she was never in the present-day parts of the novel, curse my narrative instincts.

The past parts of the novel reminded me of MY FRIEND DAHMER by Derf Backderf, which I read late last year for the Cybils and has lingered in my mind ever since.  Dahmer had certain qualities that would draw people to him, but mostly never quite fit in.  The kids knew something was wrong.  Burn certainly gets more help than Dahmer did, but even at his most normal Crash can still sense that Burn is on the edge of snapping.

CRASH AND BURN is a great novel, a memorable one, and I'm quite impressed.  But I don't love it.  Crash's substance abuse problems are serious.  If there's ever a far future sequel, I wouldn't be surprised if he did a stint on Celebrity Rehab.  And it is terrible, because he has the potential to be a great guy.  His soulless father (the only thing he and Burn agree on) and ADHD are crutches he leans on to keep from changing.  If only he had changed.  I recommend CRASH AND BURN, but with reservations.

4 comments:

  1. This one was on my TBR but I totally forgot what it was about until I read your review. It does sounds really interesting even though I'd probably also be bothered about the characters flaws you mentioned. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a really great book, but there were times I was seriously skeeved by the protagonist. (To be fair, I don't think the author expected me to not be skeeved.)

      Delete
  2. OMG-thank you so much for linking to my review. I loved seeing your thoughts here and reliving my memories of the book. I agree about the female characters who were compelling and complex if stuck in close proximity to some loathsome other characters. It's a powerful book-I just tend to like different subject matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! This was definitely a difficult book to review. But Hassan really can write.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...