March 13, 2014

Review: Wicked Little Secrets

Wicked Little Secrets Book two of the Prep School Confidential mysteries
By Kara Taylor
Available now from St. Martin's Griffin
Review copy
Read my review of Prep School Confidential

Anne Dowling is back!  She solved the murder of her roommate, but she's not satisfied.  One of the few remnants of Isabella she has is a photo of a crew team with "THEY KILLED HIM" written on the back.  Him is Matthew Weaver, and his disappearance is an unexplained mystery at Wheatley Prep.  Anne might not have as good a reason to pursue the truth behind Matthew's disappearance as she did Isabella's murder, but she can't keep herself from snooping.  The possibility of foul play haunts her.

I just love Anne.  She's assertive and fierce, but still deeply gutted by her roommate's awful death.  She can be thoughtlessly cruel and petty, but makes up for it by being allergic to injustice.  As I said in my review of the first book, good mystery series need good detective.  Anne is a great detective.

I am happy that the third book, DEADLY LITTLE SINS, has already been announced.  It comes out August 5, 2014.  When WICKED LITTLE SECRETS was coming to an end, I thought there might not be a hook for another book!  But oh, there was.  And there's more than just another twisty, surprising mystery to look forward too.  Anne has made her romantic choices, but she's still got these pesky special feelings that will never go away - and she's not about to put up with jealousy.

Look, I don't want to give too much away, because so much of the pleasure in a mystery is not knowing what happened.  I will give away that WICKED LITTLE SECRETS is wicked funny, despite the darkness within.  Pick up this series if you're into protagonists who do the right thing because it's the right thing.  These books are serious underrated gems.

4 comments:

  1. Adding these to my to read list. Think I need a weekend or two so I can just sit and read YA. Thanks for tell us about this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm glad I could talk you into picking them up - I've got a real soft spot for this series.

      Delete
  2. I still need to read the first book, but now you have me dying to add them both to my TBR list. I can't wait to meet Anne, she sounds like a wonderful, if flawed, heroine, and a talented detective. Doesn't hurt that it's wicked funny too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne is THE BEST. I hope you'll love her as much as I do. (And her flaws just make her that much more of a heroine.)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...