May 27, 2014

Armchair BEA: Author Interaction & More Than Just Words

Armchair BEA, Day Two

Logo by Amber

Author Interaction


My number one tip for author interaction through your blog is to not seek an author out if you're giving their book a bad review.  For example, if you tweet every review you write, don't automatically tag the author.  I don't think of this as a malicious mistake, but avoiding it makes everything work easier.

As for real life, I love going to book readings and signings.  I've never failed to be entertained and to learn something new about the work.  Some authors are better oral readers than others, of course.  Some, like Kathi Appelt, will even sing a song for you.  And every single author I've met has been very nice about even the most ridiculously fannish things I've said.  (R.L. Stine was simply excited to see someone carrying around THE BEAST, one of his older works.)  My pieces of advice don't have much to do with the actual interaction.

1) Buy one of the author's books from the store hosting the event.  It supports everyone involved and helps guarantee that there will be future similar events in your area.

2) Be mindful of the audience.  For instance, I've been to events geared toward teens and events geared toward librarians, of which I am neither.  In that case, it's polite to take a step back.  Ask a question if things are getting quiet, but don't ask the first question.

Also, if you live in Texas, Jen Bigheart keeps a great list of YA and MG author events.

More Than Just Words


I love graphic novels.  I've served on the CYBILS Graphic Novels panel, and it was great fun.  You can check out my graphic novels tag for specific reviews and a few manga primers.

I've been enjoying the new trend of hybrid graphic and prose novels, such as IN THE SHADOWS by Jim Di Bartolo and Kiersten White and CHASING SHADOWS by Swati Avasthi and Craig Phillips.  They provide the best of both worlds!  Stacked has a great primer on these hybrids.

But I've pretty much always been a fan of comics, from days of picking up Sabrina the Teenage Witch at the local newsstand.  What I am new too, thanks to blogging, is audiobooks.  I originally didn't like them because they took so much longer than just reading the book.  But other bloggers have convinced me to give them another chance. 

I listened to THE DUFF while I had an hour commute to and from work, and it was pretty entertaining.  Listening to audiobooks on my drive also helped me get through my CYBILS MG Speculative Fiction reading faster! 

If you want to give audiobooks a try yourself, Sync is giving away two free audiobooks a week for the rest of the summer.  Today is the last day to get CRUEL BEAUTY and OEDIPUS THE KING.

16 comments:

  1. I haven't met many authors, but that's ok because I would just feel kind of awkward! It's very good advice about posting negative reviews-- I always try to say something nice, and be constructive instead of mean if there's something I don't like. In general, authors are really kind people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always kind of awkward, but for me it feels good to get out and do it anyway.

      Delete
  2. That's good advice you gave for the author interaction portion. I always find it awkward if I read a book that I didn't necessarily enjoy and the author is following me on twitter. Thankfully that doesn't happen often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily it doesn't happen to me too much because I'm not a big twitter user.

      Delete
  3. Good tips for me to keep in mind for the day when I pluck up courage to contact an author. I'm going to a literary event this weekend so may get lucky enough to have a copy signed of Americanah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll get the courage soon!

      And I've heard lots of good things about Americanah.

      Delete
  4. I also posted about those hybrid novels and I am obsessed - I am so glad you posted that link! I loved In the Shadows, but haven't read Chasing Shadows yet. A lot of the ones I've read are middle grade in tone, but In the Shadows seemed older to me. I loved it.

    I totally agree with the advice to buy a book (or two) from the shop hosting the event. These aren't cheap and are a great way to say thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think In the Shadows hits the older middle grade range nicely.

      I used to not really be able to buy the books when I was a student, but it is such an easy thing now.

      Delete
  5. Interesting. I've never included the author's name in any reviews I've tweeted. Great tip!

    Hope you are enjoying Armchair BEA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips! I don't tweet reviews at authors because I know some don't like to read reviews, even if they're +ve, and you never know how they'll take your comments on their book!

    Mands @ The Bookish Manicurist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes it's best just not to cross the streams.

      Delete
  7. I mostly only read manga (though I'm thinking of checking out Saga), but audiobooks! I love audiobooks. Thanks for the Sync link. *runs to check it out*

    (And The DUFF!! I loved that book.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree -- I love tweeting to authors, but I make sure it's only my happiest posts! And I love your point about being mindful of the audience during author events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On being mindful, I probably should've added not asking spoiler-y questions.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...