April 9, 2015

TV Thursday: Resident Advisors


Today Resident Advisors, a comedy set in a college dorm, premiered on Hulu.  All 10 episodes are now available if you have Hulu Plus.  Only the first two episodes are available for free.  The show is produced by Elizabeth Banks (The Hunger Games, Pitch Perfect) and one of the writers and creators is Taylor Jenkins Reid, who I've reviewed multiple times.

It stars Ryan Hansen (Bad Judge) and Jamie Chung (Big Hero 6, Once Upon a Time), both of whom I've enjoyed in other shows.  They've got terrific comedic timing, and it is nice to see an Asian woman as a show lead.

I didn't really enjoy the pilot, Movin In Day.  It had some funny jokes (teen guys do wear too much body spray), and a rather nice dorm policy (they respect how students identify their gender).  But none of the characters struck me as people I'd enjoy spending multiple episodes with.  One of the guy's schtick is sexual harassment and the female RA just abandons a dog instead of taking it to a pound.

I'll probably try the second episode, since they're only twenty or so minutes long, but I'm definitely not sold yet.  I've embedded the pilot below if you want to give it a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...