Here's my question for ya'll: What words in a blurb will increase your chances of buying and/or reading a book? To me, blurbs are a tricky thing. Some really annoy me because they misrepresent the book and I end up buying something I've no interest in reading. Others leave me going 'meh' but I buy the book anyway because someone I trust recommended it. (Keedledee, Deimyts, and m'dad - I'm looking at you. Oh how I trust you with my soul. It's so nice of ya'll to return the favor.) Some make me bounce up and down with happiness and want the book RIGHT THEN like a little kid.
Some of my personal buzzwords are:
1) Faeries. Exhibit A. Exhibit B. I adore the little dangerous buggers and books to do with them. Books I've previously purchased due to the word "faerie" attached to it include Artemis Fowl, Tithe, and The Faerie Reel. Clearly this is a magnificent key to finding great books.
2) Pirates/Privateers. Exhibit C. Exhibit D. Despite the fact I prefer ninjas, I think I prefer reading about pirates. I'm still holding out on Patrick O'Brien. (Maturin! You deserve better than that cold-hearted snake.) Pirates caused me to pick up the Bloody Jack series, which is as fun to explain to people as it is to read. Also, there are pirates in Robin Hobb's Liveship trilogy. But start with her Farseer trilogy, which brings me to point three:
3) Assassins. See Exhibit A again. Or Exhibit E. Right now I'm coming up with a blank on assassin purchased books (except for the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies), but not assassin movies. So go watch Leon (The Professional) and Grosse Pointe Blank. (My other dangerous movie love? Irish gangsters.)
4) Superheroes. Exhibit F. Exhibit G. Exhibit H. Exhibit I. Highly embarrassing Exhibit J. This is totally a product of the fact I sometimes read graphic novels and watched cartoons during the glory days of animated superheroes. Let's say some superhero fueled purchases were Hero, Soon I Shall Be Invincible, and The Adventures of Fan Boy and Goth Girl.
5) Vampires. Okay, there are plenty of examples both here and on TGTBTU. This is actually not that trustworthy though because the market is currently flooded with vampire books.
Okay, so there's five of my buzzwords. C'mon now, I wanna hear yours. If you share I might tell even more of mine.