January 25, 2013

Review: Tenth of December: Stories

Tenth of December By George Saunders (no website)
Available now from Random House
Review copy

George Saunders is widely regarded as one of the masters of the short story and his newest collection, TENTH OF DECEMBER, has be widely praised as some of his best and most accessible work.  I found it to be like most short story collections: some of the stories are great, some are good, some are meh.

Saunders does have style, though sometimes his style comes at the cost of the story.  His style is excellent for getting inside of his characters' heads and bringing each narrator to life.  And somehow, those his style is consistent, the narrators don't all sound the same.  TENTH OF DECEMBER's longest story, "The Semplica-Girl Diaries," was not included in the ARC.  It is, however, free to read at The New Yorker.

"The Semplica-Girl Diaries" is one of the weaker stories in the collection, but a good introduction the anthology's contents.  And why is it weaker?  Well, it's centered on a brilliant image.  One that's gruesome but funny, skewering materialism in a Three Stooges manner.  But it's structured in journal entries, and the epistolary form kills much of the momentum the story could have.

In my opinion, the best story in the collection is "Escape from Spiderhead," previously  collected in The Best American Short Stories 2011.  It's a futuristic tale of a man participating in an increasingly brutal lab experiment.  It's a chilling exploration of love and human empathy, or the lack of it.  It could be totally bleak, but the ending is strangely uplifting.

Some of the other stories I really enjoyed are "Exhortation," an odd little story that mocks corporate speak perfectly and "My Chivalric Fiasco," which combines strange theme parks, ye olde English, and an ill-timed affair.  I  would probably include "Victory Lap" in this list if the ending made more sense on a character level.

TENTH OF DECEMBER didn't persuade me to join the cult of George Saunders.  But it's at least worth checking out from your library in order to read the best stories. 


4 comments:

  1. My husband just got this one, and every time he finished one of the stories, he'd tried to get me to read it...and he was succesful with My Chivalric Fiasco, which was fun. I guess I'll try to go read the whole thing myself, maybe this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing about it being short stories is you can finish each one pretty quickly, and soon enough the whole thing is done.

      Delete
  2. I don't read many short stories, but I want too. I think it's hard to really buy a book of short stories, though, because of what you said...some aren't so great, so you might end up only enjoying a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best method, for me, is to get anthologies (by multiple authors) from the library and figure out which editors you trust.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...