June 13, 2013

Review: I'm With Stupid

I'm With Stupid Book three of the Felton Reinstein series
By Geoff Herbach
Available now from Sourcebooks Fire
Review copy
Read my review of NOTHING SPECIAL

I love when a series ends this well.  Felton Reinstein has come far from the dorky, bullied kid he once was.  But at the same time, he's still awkward and anxious with a legacy of depression and addiction.  Just now he has fame because he's one of the best high school football players in the country and he's choosing which college he'll play ball for.

I love how detailed the setting of I'M WITH STUPID is.  Over the three books, Felton has come into contact with a wide range of people in his hometown of Bluffton, Wisconsin.  Many of those people's stories come into play in this final book.  For instance, Felton's friend Abby becomes important as she starts to fall apart following her parents' divorce.  Her issues and Felton's dovetail in a very destructive way.

Felton is at heart a decent, nice person, but he gets angry and doesn't always think things through.  He's the kind of character you want the best for, but he's prone to making mistakes and his support network is pretty distant.  I worried for Felton as he started turning to alcohol to handle his emotional issues.  I had to keep taking small breaks because it seemed as if he was going to ruin his life just when he had so many chances.

It's the rare book that can make me sympathize with the main character so much and feel so deeply.  As far as I know, Geoff Herbach is not going to write Felton's college adventures.  I'm very satisfied by this sendoff, but I'll miss the character, his friends, and his unique voice.  I'M WITH STUPID confirms that this is one of the best YA series out there.  I highly recommend all three books.  Any of them can standalone, but why miss one when they're all this good?

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you love this series too! It really is an amazing addition to the YA scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very underrated, given how good it is.

      Delete
  2. So far I've just read STUPID FAST, but I've been meaning to check out the 2nd in the series, and I have the 3rd on my shelf. Felton is SUCH a great character!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...