November 8, 2013

Review: The Fury

The Fury The Fury by Alexander Gordon Smith
Available now from Farrar, Straus and Giroux BFYR (Macmillan)
Review copy
Read more on the Alexander Gordon Smith tag

I enjoyed Alexander Gordon Smith's Escape from Furnace series and looked forward to THE FURY.  But then, I almost put it down immediately because I had a major Do Not Want in the first couple of passages.  Daisy, one of the main characters, mentions that she's almost thirteen.

I know I'm getting old when that's enough to make me hesitant to keep reading.  I mean, I knew I was signing up to read a novel where teens faced a great deal of violence, but almost thirteen?!

I'm quite happy that I stuck with it, however.  THE FURY is not a conventional horror novel at all, and it almost becomes an outright fantasy adventure at the end.  It takes several unconventional turns that keep things interesting and fresh throughout the many pages.  This book is an absolute brick, but it reads surprisingly fast.  I finished the last five hundred pages in half a day.

There are a lot of characters.  The main three, initially, are Daisy, Cal, and Brick.  They have very different temperaments, and readers are likely to identify with at least one of them.  The characters, minor, major, likeable, unlikeable, multiply quickly after that.  I didn't find it too hard to keep track, but I warn you not to become too attached to anyone.  I did like how Smith managed to develop a variety of characters amongst all the plot.  Everyone with a scene through their point of view has a personality and independent motivation.

I quite liked THE FURY.  It's fast, thrilling, and ultimately optimistic.  I don't think I could take all the scares and brutality if the book weren't kind in the end.  And Cal and Daisy's budding brother/sister relationship is absolutely adorable.  It's a different sort of read, and I suspect it will attract reluctant readers despite its hefty size.


12 comments:

  1. Yes, I'd be concerned about a violent book with a 12 year old protagonist since kids tend to read up. It seems like long books is the new trend this year. I find that frustrating since those books are physically hard to hold and to cary. Perhaps more people are reading on ereaders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, I've always liked big books. Perhaps you can use a book stand and sock to make it easier?

      Delete
  2. I'm not surprised by your thoughts there given that cover! I am wondering just how many pages there are given you said 'the last' 500. Not sure about the genre and overall idea for children, I suppose some might be okay with it but I don't think I'd have picked it at that age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very, very picky about horror (I say I don't pick it up, but that's not true - I'm just very choosy!), but you've made this one sound appealing, which I didn't expect when I saw that cover! I know my youngest brother loves the Furnace series, so I may have to get this one for him for Christmas. Thanks - you've just made my holiday shopping that much easier. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he likes Furnace, then this is definitely a good choice of gift!

      Delete
  4. I have a copy of this and the sheer size of it is putting me off, but I'm encouraged to hear that you read it rather quickly, and that it was worth it. Definitely going to give my copy a go now. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I don't think I could take all the scares and brutality if the book weren't kind in the end." Yes, hooray for kindness in boos that also challenge our emotions and thinking.

    I enjoyed meeting you and getting to know you a little at kidlitcon. You have a lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was too intimidated by the size of this one to go on, hah. But your rave makes me sort of regret that decision! The age of the protagonist gave me pause, too.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it definitely took a bit to push through that.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...