October 23, 2012

Review: Ask the Passengers

Ask the Passengers By A.S. King
Available now from Little, Brown
Review copy courtesy of Mrs. Yingling Reads
Read my reviews of PLEASE IGNORE VERA DIETZ and THE DUST OF 100 DOGS
Read Amy's guest blog

A.S. King is one of the best young adult authors writing today.  Every single one of her books is a gem.  I'd say the only truly comparable author is John Green, although their books don't much resemble each other aside from being contemporary YA.

King's newest book, ASK THE PASSENGERS, is about Astrid Jones.  Astrid's a pretty normal teen - she has a mom, a dad, and a younger sister, she hangs out with her best friends who are dating, and has a job with a local caterer.  But her mom has a special bond with her sister, leaving Astrid left out, plus she dominates the whole family.  Her best friends aren't actually dating - Justin and Kristina are both gay and use each other as a beard.  And Astrid is dating Dee, who works with her.  But Astrid isn't sure that she wants to go any farther than making out, especially since she isn't sure that she's a lesbian.

Astrid is a wonderful character with a powerful voice.  She isn't just questioning her sexuality - she's a teenager; she's questioning a lot of things.  She even finds comfort in her philosophy class.  The title comes from her habit of lying behind her house, watching the planes go by.  She sends out her love to the planes' passengers.  Often the chapters end with a scene of someone on the plane feeling Astrid's love and gaining the courage to do something important for their life.  These scenes can be heavy, but they're beautiful, and an excellent demonstration of King's inventive storytelling.

ASK THE PASSENGERS is a story full of love and King tells it with love.  Astrid's story will appeal to a wide audience - you don't have to belong to the LGBT alphabet soup to find it compelling.  (But young lesbians and bisexual girls will definitely enjoy the make-out scenes.)  And I could just be saying that because I want everyone to read ASK THE PASSENGERS.  But then again, I want everyone to read it because it's a great book.


8 comments:

  1. First off, I love the writer's name or pseudonym (?). Witty! And the title of the book itself. Haha. It's rare to find books that explore LGBT or any other marginalized/discriminated sectors in the society. And it's brave for an author to do this. You've got me interested now XD Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I keep a QUILTBAG list! I hope you read and like the book.

      Delete
  2. I like the premise anyway, but the part about the passengers feeling the love is particularly intriguing, must bring quite a lot of extra thoughts to ponder on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cool detail that really brings the theme of the book home.

      Delete
  3. "you don't have to belong to the LGBT alphabet soup to find it compelling" ... love that line! :-) I think it sounds wonderful. I'm adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Really great review and the book seems great too. I'm going to check this one out as I just read and reviewed my last read for the LGBT Event and I'm looking for more books to read in this genre in the near future. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :D

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the event has you looking for more! I can say that this is definitely a great one to add to your LGBT reading list.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...