October 11, 2012

Review: Lucid

Lucid By Adrienne Stoltz and Ron Bass (no website found)
Available now from Razorbill (Penguin)
Review copy

Adrienne Stoltz and Ron Bass are debut authors, but they are neither new to writing nor collaborating.  They've been writing screenplays together for years.  Their time in the business definitely adds authenticity to Maggie's experiences as a young, talented actress trying to get a breakout part.

Maggie is only one of the narrators of LUCID.  The other is Sloane.  Only one of the girls is real, and both girls belief themselves to be the real one.  Whenever they go to sleep, they dream the other girl's life.  Maggie lives in New York with her often absent mother and younger sister.  She doesn't go to school, instead opting for a GED so she can focus on her career.  Her life changes when she meets two guys: talent agent Thomas and film student Andrew.  Sloane is a normal girl, living in Connecticut.  Bill, her best friend, died the year before and she's still recovering from his death.  The hot new guy might help her escape her funk, but it means further denying the feelings she has for other best friend Gordy.

As I'm not a fan of love triangles, I wasn't overjoyed to get two for the price of one.  But I was intrigued enough by the rest of LUCID to give that aspect of the story a pass.  It's not obvious which girl is fake.  (There was one scene that gave it away for me, and I'm curious to find out what gives it away for other readers.)  Both Maggie and Sloane's lives are pretty fully realized.  They have family, friends, hobbies, post-high school goals - neither is one dimensional.

It makes reading LUCID sort of painful, because you know one of the girls has to go away in the end.  (Living a second life in your dreams, to the point where you can't believe it isn't real, is sort of crazy.)  Both girls have their bad sides, but I didn't want either girl to disappear just because of a few character faults.

LUCID is the perfect read for anyone looking for a good psychological, character-driven tale.  It's full of good and bad boys, cute and ugly dogs, grief, anger, and hope for the future.  I had fun reading it and hope Stoltz and Bass decided to collaborate on a young adult novel again.

8 comments:

  1. That's one heck of a premise, though yes, two love triangles at once is a lot to read, is there some sort of reflective element in it, as in to be more like the other life? Sounds a really good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, each girl ponders that if she's the real one, why would the dream world be her ideal life?

      Delete
  2. Two love triangles does sound a bit much, I'm rarely a fan of even one :) But the rest of the book sounds fascinating.

    Wasn't there a tv series recently with a vaguely similar idea, a man's wife dies in a car crash but his son lives, but when he sleeps it is the other way around. Or vice versa.
    I didn't watch it, but is sounded interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awake? Yeah, it's somewhat similar in premise.

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of this book. How crazy would having consistent dreams be? Creeps me out just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not obvious which girl is fake. (There was one scene that gave it away for me, and I'm curious to find out what gives it away for other readers.)
    Hi, I originally read your review on Goodreads and traced it down here. I'm so really curious about which scene you meant (I only read the book once for now, and can't recall having a similar feeling at any point). Despite the two love triangles (and I'm another reader who doesn't even stand one of them as a rule), I loved this book. Planning to reread it as soon as I'm finished with my five unread ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have to reread it to tell you - I can't remember myself.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...