October 6, 2012

Review: Something Strange and Deadly

Something Strange and DeadlyBook One of the Something Strange and Deadly trilogy
By Susan Dennard
Available now from Harper Teen (Harper Collins)
Review copy

The reviews I've read of SOMETHING STRANGE AND DEADLY have been mixed, but I absolutely loved it.  It's the Centennial in Philadelphia and the Dead are walking the streets.  Eleanor Fitt paid the newspaper stories little mind until one of the Dead gives her a letter from her brother.  Determined to help Elijah, she goes to the Spirit-Hunters.  Turns out Eleanor has a talent for kneecapping the Dead with her ever-present parasol.  (She is, after all, a Victorian lady.)

For all that SOMETHING STRANGE AND DEADLY is a story about zombies, the setting has a lot of life in it.  Eleanor ignores many of the rules she's supposed to follow, and she's often very aware that she's risking her reputation.  But there are some things she considers more important than her reputation, and she's broke anyways.  It's not like she had many choices before her brother was kidnapped by a necromancer.

The romance is light but sweet.  There's a brief moment when SOMETHING STRANGE AND DEADLY looks like it's heading for a love triangle, but fortunately that's averted.  (I did like Clarence, Eleanor's never-had-a-chance suitor, but it's just so nice not to have a love triangle.)  Daniel, resident inventor for the Spirit-Hunters, has great chemistry with Eleanor.  Their banter is pretty amusing.

But honestly, there's a pretty easy test to see if you'll like SOMETHING STRANGE AND DEADLY.  Do you want to read about zombies running amok in Victorian times?  Then yes, you should read this one.

I'm definitely going to be back for the second book in the trilogy.  I'm curious about where Susan Dennard will take her heroine next, because SOMETHING STRANGE AND DEADLY functions just fine as a standalone novel.  (Big cheer!)  I've heard rumors that it's set in Paris, which definitely sounds dandy.

8 comments:

  1. Had not hear the Paris tidbit! I am torn on that: on the one hand, I love Philly but on the other hand, Paris at that time is so cool and I wouldn't want the series to be limited in scope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. The setting in this one is done so well, but Victorian-era Paris!

      Delete
  2. Victorian zombies, fun. I guess that means I should read it as I was thinking that before you asked. Like the idea of a change in setting for the second book, always makes it fresher and continues the interest for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big zombie fan, so I'm curious about this one. I've seen mixed reviews for it as well so it's always difficult to tell what I will personally think. My sister thought this one looked good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll enjoy it. But who knows until you read it?

      Delete
  4. I'll be honest, I've never read a zombie book. I do love Victorian settings, so maybe I should start with this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe! It's a decent starting point to zombies, certainly.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...