February 24, 2013

Strands of Bronze and Gold Manicure

Strands of Bronze and Gold Are you familiar with Random Buzzers?  It's a program run by Random House and I've been a member for years.  Every week they feature a different Random House teen title and you can interact directly with the author.  It's a great way to get insider information and win books.  If you aren't a member, you might consider joining.  (It would be nice if you said that Liviania referred you!)  In fact, I have a limited number of referral codes that come with enough points for a free book.  Just note in the comments if you'd like me to hook you up.

My Ambuzzador package - a letter, two ARCs, and referral codes
Anyway, approximately three times a year they chose members to be "Ambuzzadors" for some of their biggest titles of the season.  I am currently an Ambuzzador for STRANDS OF BRONZE AND GOLD by Jane Nickerson.  It's a retelling of "Bluebeard" set in pre-Civil War Mississippi.  Ya'll know I'm a sucker for fairytale retellings.  I've been trying to think of nifty ways to get people interested in the story and I ended up designing a manicure inspired by the book!

This doesn't do justice to the shiny, sadly.
You'll need China Glaze Harvest Moon (bronze foil metallic) and OPI Goldeneye (clear base with gold glitter) to complete this look, in addition to your preferred base and top coat.  My technique was inspired by All Lacquered Up's ombre/gradation manicure done with jelly polish.

1.  Prep.  Cut and file your nails to your desired shape.  Wash nails well with soap or wipe with a bit of nail polish remover to get rid of excess oils.  Apply a thin layer of base coat.  (I used Seche Vite.)  Wait for base coat to dry.  You'll know it's dry when it's no longer tacky to touch.

2.  Apply a layer of China Glaze Harvest Moon to the entire nail.  I've had good luck getting one coat coverage with this polish, but if your first coat isn't opaque you will need a second coat.  Wait till dry.

3.  Apply a thin layer of OPI Goldeneye beginning about 1/3 up from the base of the nail.  Wait till dry.  Then apply another thin layer of Goldeneye, this time to the top third of the nail only.  Wait till dry.

4.  Apply a generous layer of top coat.  (I used Seche Vite.)  Wait till dry.  For best results, reapply top coat once a day.  I am far too lazy to do this and have so far gone 48 hours without chipping.

Obviously, you can substitute other bronze and gold polishes, but I highly recommend picking up a bottle of Goldeneye off eBay or a polish swap site if you can.  It's possibly the best polish I own.  It's like dipping your fingers into molten gold.  It wears well and you will get complimented on it.

What's the significance of bronze and gold, you ask?  It's the color of Sophia Petheram's hair.  And, as it turns out, all of her godfather's former wives had red hair as well.  As Monsieur Bernard de Cressac's new ward, she is curious about his past and the banished memory of those women who so resembled her.  Sadly, I'm a brunette, but I can have bronze and gold nails.  I think Sophia would approve of the spirit of my manicure, but she'd probably think it horribly flashy and gaudy.  It's a bit more Monsieur Bernard's style.

Feel free to ask me questions about the book or how to replicate the nail art for yourself.


8 comments:

  1. I only heard of this book yesterday but it's already on my TBR list. Cool manicure, btw. It's sad that I suck at applying paint though. But they are always so pretty so weee. =))

    Great post, Ambuzzador!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing about polish is it's not meant to stick to skin. Just scrub well the next time you shower and the excess paint comes off!

      Delete
  2. What an original way to gain interest! Your nails look great :D I'd been hoping you'd cover this book, having seen it on your sidebar the title, picture, and impression of it being historical had me interested by itself. A fairytale retelling is better than I would have guessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And a couple more posts plus a full review are coming, so you'll have plenty of opportunity to learn more about the book!

      Delete
  3. Oh nice! This is a great idea for buzzing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to see all the ideas other Ambuzzadors have come up with.

      Delete
  4. Book manicure?! Why haven't I thought of that?! You're kind of a genius. Are there such things are eye looks matching books?! I feel like I would be able to rock that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I've seen any, but you should create some! I'd love to rock a book-inspired eye!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...