February 28, 2013

Weekend Challenge: Read Outside Your Comfort Zone

Let's Pretend this Never Happened One of my goals for 2013 is to read more nonfiction.  I've started by reading several memoirs.  (No, this is not an invitation to send me a review request for a memoir.  I already get about five a day and that's when I haven't invited them at all.)  Why not start with a genre that skirts the line between fiction and nonfiction?  The latest is LET'S PRETEND THIS NEVER HAPPENED by Jenny Lawson (The Bloggess), which is even subtitled A Mostly True Memoir.  I prefer her blog, although the two are very similar.  It just works better for me in bite-sized blog form.

It's been easy to pick up memoirs, as Harper Perennial at least almost always has them on sale.  (And I can't help but notice them because I love the Harper Perennial tumblr.)  That also made it an easy place to start.  Then there's the fact that memoirs are just plain popular.  There has to be a reason.  But while I do enjoy a good graphic memoir, so far I am not clicking with the prose memoirs I've picked up.  (On the graphic side, I highly recommend recent Cybils finalists DARKROOM by Lila Quintero Weaver and LITTLE WHITE DUCK by Na Liu and illustrated by Andres Vera Martinez.)

Even if my foray into memoirs hasn't been successful so far, I'm enjoying trying.  And I just know I'll find the one that works for me eventually and be able to find some more good titles from there.  (I've been saving LIFE by Keith Richards and JUST KIDS by Patti Smith for the end of my memoir reading because I'll be bereft if I don't enjoy those.)

I've also got some non-memoir nonfiction in my TBR now, like STIFF by Mary Roach.

My challenge for you, this weekend, is to start a book that's outside of your comfort zone.  It doesn't have to be really far outside.  Love the softer side of science fiction?  Try something harder.  Really into urban fantasy?  Try a paranormal romance.  But if you want to go farther, why not?  Pick up a manga - or an American superhero comic.  Check out some short stories.  Venture into the mystery section.  Experiment with a super serious literary or classic author that you're intimidated by.  I've heard CRIME AND PUNISHMENT is a real page turner.  (Yes, it is on my TBR!)

I'm willing to help.  If you've got an idea of what type of book you want to try but don't have a specific title in mind, I'm willing to give you suggestions.  I'm pretty widely read . . . as long as you aren't looking for a nonfiction recommendation.  Even then, I might surprise you.

6 comments:

  1. I was just talking about non-fiction last night...I used to read more of it when I was younger, for whatever reason. lol I guess I get stuck reading so much for school and review now, I don't just go to the library and pick things up. This is a nice idea though!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I read plenty and school, then I pretty much stopped, aside from news articles and such.

      Delete
  2. I like a good non-fiction book now and again, though admittedly I'm really weird about my choices AND my reads are few and far between. I actually have had STIFF for years and have never gotten around to it--and I've heard such good things about the Bloggess' book! I wish you luck in your challenge. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not gonna say how long STIFF has been on the TBR.

      Delete
  3. I like non fiction books about mental illness lots....and other non-fiction, to some extent, too. What's really outside my comfort zone is straight up fiction for adults, but my husband is trying to get me to read a Stewart O'Nan book, so maybe I will...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to avoid mental illness books - a lot of it that I care to know I already know due to real life family issues and I prefer to not let it into my pleasure reading.

      As for straight-up fiction for adults, it depends on what type of fiction you mean. I think you'd like THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER AND CLAY by Michael Chabon, which is pretty mainstream.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...