April 8, 2013

Movie Monday: The Lizzie Bennet Diaries Kickstarter


If you enjoyed The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, then you have two more weeks to donate to the Kickstarter to produce a DVD set of the series.  It's more than fully funded, so there's very little risk you won't get your reward.  To actually get the 8-disc DVD set you have to donate $55, which is a little pricey in my opinion.  But if you do have money to burn, lots of the more expensive limited awards are still available.

I thought the series fizzled out towards the end, so I'm happy just rewatching the early videos on YouTube.  But for those who want a hard copy, this is your chance to also get your name in the liner notes!  Can't do that once it's already produced.

Unrelated Texas Sidenote:  The Dallas International Film Festival (DIFF) is in full swing.  I recommend checking it out if you're in the area.  Tonight I recommend the Pit Stop showing at 10:15 PM at the Landmark Magnolia.

6 comments:

  1. That's a bit steep if they're funded already. I think I'd be inclined to just watch it online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, it does make sense to me. A lot of TV-on-DVD costs $40-50 before big retailers discount it, and that's when it's made by companies who have the facilities to make huge orders and all. Smaller, independent stuff can cost more because of manufacturing costs and all.

      Delete
  2. It's a horribly outrageous price. Not easy to fork out for everyone, but it makes sense. I haven't watched any of it yet, so I'll have to check it out online sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's out of my budget, especially for something I can get for free. I wish they'd made it more affordable, but I can't blame them for making a profit. Obviously it was a price many people were willing to pay.

      Delete
  3. I never checked out the LBD, but I've seen lots of hype and chatter on twitter... something I should investigate? I don't watch much TV and have a hard time making myself sit still during shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each episode is about 6-10 minutes long, so you shouldn't have much trouble sitting still!

      It's a bit of a mixed bag. If you're a Jane Austen fan (I know you love Persuasion), you might go ahead and check it out. The acting does get better as the show goes on. (And it's pretty deliberate on the part of Jane's actor, since she goes from retiring to more confident.) (And Mary Kate Wiles starts out kind of annoying as Lydia but she has great energy and range and might be the best actor.)

      But I felt like it went a little off the rails with the Lydia/Wickham subplot and that the Gigi and Darcy relationship wasn't modernized well. (The best modernization is probably Collins.) Also, I like the actor who plays Darcy - Daniel Vincent Gordh - from his stuff on Cracked, but felt he was a bit too stiff.

      This is a good write-up, with helpful but spoilery comments: http://www.avclub.com/articles/lizzie-bennet-diaries-presents-pride-prejudice,91804/ (Not that the novel isn't 200 years old, but it gives away a few of the changes.)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...