April 23, 2013

Review: Arclight

Book Cover First in a series
By Josin L. McQuein
Available now from Greenwillow (HarperCollins)
Review copy

I am loving the current crop of dystopias.  They're moving away from aping THE HUNGER GAMES and towards incorporating more science fiction and thriller elements.  Stories about despotic governments are okay, but not really what I'm into.  Stories about crazy future technology and uncovering the truth?  I'm there.

Marina lives in the Arclight, now.  The people in the Arclight are protected by constant light preventing the Fade from getting in.  But Marina came from outside the Arclight.  She has no idea how she managed to survive because she doesn't remember anything before she was rescued.  But fitting in is hard, especially because several people died retrieving her.

The Fade are very different from humans in how they think, how they're organized, their goals.  There may be similarities, but it's hard to know since the only contact between the humans and the Fade is hostile.  Marina wants answers, however, and she's willing to put herself in danger to get them.  I enjoyed the thought debut author Josin L. McQuein put into the conflict between the two communities, as well as the communities themselves.  The Fade are scary since they're so alien.  It's no wonder the humans fought.  At the same time, that doesn't mean the humans are always on the side of the angels.  ARCLIGHT raises many complicated questions about identity and ethics.

There is a love triangle, which I could live without.  There's enough conflict in ARCLIGHT without adding in a romantic dilemma.  I did appreciate that it didn't overwhelm the novel.  Marina is pretty clueless that Tobin is into her.  And why wouldn't she be?  She's preoccupied with figuring out where she came from and not dying.  Dating is a distant concern.

ARCLIGHT will satisfy science fiction fans looking for a fast-paced tale of culture clash, war crimes, and hidden truth.  The action starts on page one and just keeps going.  There's a lot of plot packed in these pages.  It's a fun ride and I'll be back for MERIDIAN, the forthcoming sequel.

15 comments:

  1. Quote: "I am loving the current crop of dystopias. They're moving away from aping THE HUNGER GAMES and towards incorporating more science fiction and thriller elements. Stories about despotic governments are okay, but not really what I'm into. Stories about crazy future technology and uncovering the truth? I'm there."

    I'm with you on this. And I have to admit your review steered me toward reading this book. (I could have lived without the love triangle myself, but still). It's in my not-sure list for now, but it sound promising, so we'll see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one! And there's always the library for those unsure books.

      Delete
    2. Not here in Italy. I mean, not for all the books I'd like to read in the original version :(.

      Delete
    3. Good point. I tend to forget that not everyone who visits my blog is from the US!

      Delete
  2. I've seen this on a bunch of WOWs but haven't been much interested, partly because I didn't know much about it. Thank you for fixing this-I'm thrilled about the more sci-fi tone but still not sure I want to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate in when that happens! I want to know about the book, not just that it has a pretty cover.

      Delete
  3. Good that the romance was written well, even if it wasn't really needed. By that it actually sounds like it was there to appeal to readers but there was a concious effort not to make it the be all end all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd just have preferred no love triangle at all.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed this one; sounds like the romance was something that could have been left out though! Ah well, at least it doesn't overpower things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a few books lately with no romance subplot. So great.

      Delete
  5. This was one of my WoW picks a couple of months ago, and I have to say that I'm relieved you liked it overall, though I too could do without a love triangle (for... ever, really). I'll get it from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tempted to write something like Ranma 1/2, with like seven overlapping love triangles.

      Delete
  6. This sounds like one for my tbr list, though I'm with Cecelia above viz love triangles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The love triangles must sell, since they're still happening, but I don't know anyone who wants them.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...