April 5, 2013

Review: In the Shadow of Blackbirds

In the Shadow of Blackbirds In the Shadow of Blackbirds
By Cat Winters
Available now Amulet Books (ABRAMS)
Review copy

I wanted to read IN THE SHADOW OF BLACKBIRDS because of the creepy cover and evocative title.  I didn't really know anything about the story when I began.  But wow, what a story it is.

Mary Shelley Black travels to live with her Aunt Eva in San Diego after her father is imprisoned.  The First World War is in full swing, the young men going off to war and many never returning, or only returning in pieces.  But not all is peaceful at home, because in 1918 there was a major influenza outbreak.  People are wearing masks, bathing in onions, anything to stay healthy.

Mary Shelley briefly reunites with her childhood friend and potential boyfriend Stephen before he goes off to war.  They were forcibly parted before, due to Stephen's older half brother lying about their relationship.  And now Mary Shelley is forced to interact with that villainous brother because he is a talented spiritual photographer and Aunt Eva believes in his abilities.

Debut author Cat Winters clearly did her research.  She brings the anxieties and dreams of the time to vivid life, channeled through Mary Shelley's rather extraordinary story.  Because things take a turn for the paranormal when, after a series of unfortunate events, Mary Shelley begins to have dreams of Stephen being tortured by blackbirds.  She has to find a way to save him, even as she tries to figure out how to live her life as an independent woman.

IN THE SHADOW OF BLACKBIRDS is both terrifying and heartbreaking.  Dread pervades every aspect of the novel.  It's contrasted by the sweetness of Mary Shelley and Stephen's love.  Their romance is a lovely, gentle thing.  That only serves to make the novels many twists and turns more heartrending.  IN THE SHADOW OF BLACKBIRDS is a story to read when you're in the mood to submerge yourself completely in a character's story.  Mary Shelley's chilling tale demands attention.

Winters' debut is brilliant, showcasing incredible talent and imagination.  I can't wait to see what she writes next.  Historical photographs and facts blend with deft characterization and intricate plotting to create a haunting story.  IN THE SHADOW OF BLACKBIRDS questions the meaning of war, tells a tender love story, crescendos into a genuinely frightening ghost story, and it's all held together by an extraordinary heroine.  It's a little early, but I think I can safely say this is one of the best books of 2013.

18 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty creepy, especially considering the character's name and the book it brings to mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, she's definitely named after the right author! (And there is a reason for her name in text, it just didn't make sense to talk about it in the review!)

      Delete
  2. Oh good! I've been looking forward to this one, and shall continue to do so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ It's a good one to look forward to. I don't think it will let you down.

      Delete
  3. What a great review for this book-I hope it encourages more people to check it out because it is just so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrifying and heartbreaking sounds like great combo in this one. Thanks for review since I haven't heard much about it.
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great review! I just read a guest post about this one and I'm even more curious to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited to read this one! I just read a guest post from Cat today and she totally did do her research! Pretty much ALL the research one can do. :-) I was already incredibly excited to read this and your review makes me even more so. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The research makes the setting so awesome and then she just tops it off with great characters and story. I'm glad your excited about this one because it's a great read!

      Delete
  7. I've only heard good things about this book! I have it waiting for me at the library, can't wait to read it. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much and that it was so well-researched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for libraries! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete
  8. I was intrigued by the cover and title, too, but when you say best of 2013 I just KNOW. Buying this... now! Lovely, lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll love it! (And it's seriously the perfect cover and title for this book.)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...