September 1, 2010

"Waiting On" Wednesday + Contest

This meme was started by Jill of Breaking the Spine.

I have been eagerly awaiting PLEASE IGNORE VERA DIETZ, by A. S. King, who wrote the little-indie-that-could, DUST OF 100 DOGS.  DUST OF 100 DOGS was one of my top books of summer last year, and A. S. King was kind enough to guest blog during my first blogiversary.  So I was sad to learn that certain chains won't be carrying her debut.

Please Ignore Vera Dietz

Here's the flap copy and details:

"PLEASE IGNORE VERA DIETZis a 'please go away and don't bother me, I have to finish this book before I do anything else' kind of book. Brilliant. Funny. Really special." --Ellen Hopkins, author of NYT bestselling Crank, Glass and Tricks

PLEASE IGNORE VERA DIETZ Coming from Knopf --October 12, 2010--ages 14+

  • Is it okay to hate a dead kid?

  • Even if I loved him once?

  • Even if he was my best friend?

  • Is it okay to hate him for being dead?


  • Vera's spent her whole life secretly in love with her best friend, Charlie Kahn. And over the years she's kept a lot of his secrets. Even after he betrayed her. Even after he ruined everything.

    So when Charlie dies in dark circumstances, Vera knows a lot more than anyone—the kids at school, his family, or even the police. But will she emerge and clear his name? Does she even want to?

    An edgy, gripping story, PLEASE IGNORE VERA DIETZ is an unforgettable novel: smart, funny, dramatic, and always surprising. Find more info and an excerpt here: http://www.as-king.com/html/vera.php.

    Then, I found out from Cecelia Bedelia that also isn't carrying SHADES OF MILK AND HONEY, Mary Robinette Kowal's debut novel, in its stores. Ya'll may remember Kowal as one of the first authors I reviewed. I first posted about SHADES OF MILK AND HONEY in a "Waiting On" Wednesday February 25, 2009. And now I can't go out and buy it at my favorite bookstore.

    Shades of Milk and Honey

    CONTEST:

    E-mail proof of a preorder of PLEASE IGNORE VERA DIETZ or a purchase of SHADES AND MILK HONEY to inbedwithbooks AT yahoo DOT com to be entered. In two weeks, I will select a winner to receive a $10 gift certificate to Barnes and Noble.

    Here are some links to help you out:
    PLEASE IGNORE VERA DIETZ on Amazon and IndieBound
    SHADES OF MILK AND HONEY on Amazon and IndieBound

    3 comments:

    1. This sounds fabulous! If I was allowing myself to buy books right now, I would totally enter!
      Super great pick!

      Mine's here.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks so much for the recommendation! I was already sold on Shades, but Please Ignore Vera Dietz sounds fascinating.

      Does purchasing the audio book of Shades of Milk and Honey count?

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...