December 13, 2012

Review: Falling Kingdoms

Falling Kingdoms Book One of the Falling Kingdoms series
By Morgan Rhodes
Available now from Razorbill (Penguin)
Review copy
Part of the 2012 Breathless Reads

I love high fantasy epics.  I mean, people have written pages upon pages about the problems of Robert Jordan, Terry Brooks, George R. R. Martin's, et al's style and while all of that criticism has a point, it doesn't matter for me. 

I love fat, bloated fantasy that is grandiose and full of melodrama.  Gimme secret children, incest, betrayal, political intrigue, loving descriptions of servant number five's uniform any day of the week.

Thus, I expected to love FALLING KINGDOMS.  As you've probably discerned by now, I didn't.  One of the big problems for me was the structure.  The book cycles through several points of view - at least five - which isn't inherently bad, but I never really connected with any of the narrators.  They're living in a crappy world that forces them to make tough decisions, but I wasn't feeling their anguish.  These are teenagers who are instrumental in pushing their countries from peace to the brink of war!  And yet, they all felt like small people.  They were all sort of mopey in the same way, aside from Jonas, who was also righteously angry.

FALLING KINGDOMS also felt oh-so-predictable.  Morgan Rhodes is obviously taking more after the model of Martin than Jordan, but part of what makes A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones so much fun is when it subverts genre expectations.  Look, as I pointed out in my intro, I love the tropes and style of high fantasy.  But FALLING KINGDOMS didn't seem like it was having fun with them.  It just sort of lurched through unhappy set pieces.  All the grimdarkness and angst beat me down.

I have high expectations for the titles Penguin Teen names as Breathless Reads.  I've enjoyed almost all of them, even when I didn't expect too.  FALLING KINGDOMS didn't even come close to leaving me breathless.  More like a sad sigh of frustration that I was in North Dakota and it was the last book I'd taken with me that I hadn't read.

I do recommend Morgan Rhodes' books as Michelle Rowan.  Honestly, I never thought I would say one of her books wasn't fun. 


10 comments:

  1. I too didn't particularly enjoyed this book. I don't know . . . there was just something missing in this book. I mean, I've enjoyed the author's previous works but this one just wasn't enjoyable sadly. Still, I hope the sequel works out better for me and for you as well(that is if I decide to read it or not). Nice review!

    New follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't decided whether I'll read the sequel or not. I want to give the series another chance, because I do love Rowan, but this one just didn't sing.

      Delete
  2. There are problems in fantasy, like with any genre, but the stories and settings are generally so powerful that the problems become minor (well, except for those who see no merit in genre fiction). I know that "small people" element you mention, it's just too weird to expect those sorts of characters to be paramount to their land's future. A fantasy has to have fun with the style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People who see no merit in genre fiction are strange.

      Delete
  3. It's a shame this was a disappointment. I really need to get started on the Game of Thrones series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never really been a fantasy fan, so this wouldn't jump out to me. Sorry it wasn't what you were hoping for, though!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes familiarity with a genre can affect your reading experience.

      Delete
  5. I love high fantasy, too, but your criticisms sound like just the sort of thing that would turn me off a book. I can only take so much grimdarkness myself. And I love that word! Thank you for thinking of it. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee, you're welcome.

      I don't entirely mind the trend toward darker fantasy, but sometimes I just wish everything wasn't awful for everyone. I need some brightness!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...