June 20, 2014

Review: The Rules for Breaking

The Rules for Breaking Sequel to The Rules for Disappearing
By Ashley Elston
Available now from Disney-Hyperion
Review copy

So I didn't know THE RULES FOR BREAKING was a sequel until after I read it, but that explains so much.  I didn't feel lost reading the book, because things were explained, but I felt like it opened in an odd place.  After all, that action Anna describes would be a great book in itself!  Turns out it was.

I was sucked into Anna's story instantly.  She's been in the Witness Protection Program since seeing her crush and his father murdered.  The assassin left her alive because she knew where some information was.  She's trying to build a normal life with her boyfriend Ethan, but recently Thomas - the assassin - made contact with her again.  Soon enough, she, Ethan, and her little sister Teeny have been kidnapped.

Anna felt very realistic to me.  She sometimes makes uninformed or shortsighted decisions, but her motivations are clear.  (They're mostly to keep herself, her boyfriend, and her little sister alive.)  Her relationship with her traumatized sister was sweet, despite the circumstances.  Her relationship with Ethan was a bit close to too perfect, although his possessive streak helped temper it.  The villains were quite chilling, particularly the one who fancied himself friendly.  (I don't want to give too much away!)

THE RULES FOR BREAKING is a story with multiple twists and turns.  It seems fairly predictable at first, but then things start turning inside out.  I guessed a few of the twists, but not all.  It's not deep, but it is fun.  Anna's growth throughout the novel was well done, and her strong personality helped ground the book during the more ludicrous twists.  I definitely want to pick up the first book to see what I missed!

2 comments:

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...