June 20, 2014

Strange Chemistry is no more

I enjoyed the Strange Chemistry imprint quite a bit, so I am saddened by today's announcement that it is closed effective immediately and all upcoming books are cancelled.

Per the press release:

As you will be aware, Angry Robot Books has a history of innovation and we continue to go from strength to strength. We’re constantly trying out new concepts and new ideas, and we continue to publish popular and award-winning books. Our YA imprint Strange Chemistry and our crime/mystery imprint Exhibit A have – due mainly to market saturation – unfortunately been unable to carve out their own niches with as much success.
We have therefore made the difficult decision to discontinue Strange Chemistry and Exhibit A, effective immediately, and no further titles will be published from these two imprints.
The core Angry Robot imprint is robust, however, and we plan to increase our output from 2 books a month, to 3. We have no plans to cancel any titles other than those of Strange Chemistry and Exhibit A.

This also makes me wish I'd requested some of the upcoming titles from NetGalley so that I could at least read them. The YA market is a tough one, particularly because it is full of lots of quality reads.  I understand Angry Robot's decision and have no desire for them to go under to save a sinking ship.

I'm glad Angry Robot is still going strong and hope the Strange Chemistry authors and their books find new homes.  (Publishers, please pick up the last Pantomime book and the Black Dog sequel, kthnxbai.)  But I'll miss this little imprint.  I didn't love all of their output, but it was full of hidden gems.

Links:

Rachel Neumeier's reaction 
Laura Lam's reaction
Bookshelves of Doom coverage

6 comments:

  1. It's always sad to see an imprint go. Hopefully the books will find a new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's awful. I don't think I really read anything from Strange Chemistry, but it's great that all their imprints released unique novels. It's sad when things don't work out and I hope the books they were going to release can find a new home too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I didn't even think about the BLACK DOG sequel!!! I will cry real tears if that one doesn't come out somehow, somewhere. Nooooooooooooo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I must have that sequel.

      Delete
    2. I hope you clicked through Rachel's link at the end: it will save you tears.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...