May 23, 2009

Books of Summer 4/7

Book Cover

THE VAST FIELDS OF ORDINARY by Nick Burd

Like DUST OF 100 DOGS, this one is about the summer after graduation. Aside from that, no resemblence. Okay, there is one more: it rocks pretty hard. How hard? I gave away the ARC (which Robbie gave to me) and I'm going to buy it when it comes out in paperback.

Dade's a gay boy in a small town, and he's fed out with Pablo, who won't go public. (Even though everyone knows they're together - which Pablo's girlfriend does not appreciate. She's not nice, but her motivation is understandable.) But he starts to hang with a neighbor's niece who moves in and finds a new romantic interest, Alex, at the taco place. Dade's choices aren't always smart, but he's figuring out how to be comfortable with who he is. Pablo, on the other hand, is unhappy to be left behind.

The ending did not turn out how I expected, but it worked. And usually I dislike protagonists who drink and do drugs, but Nick Burd presented it well. This isn't an action packed book by any means, but it's a good examination of character. This one is perfect for a hot day best spent indoors.

Warning, since I'd want to be warned about this: you might cry a little, but it's not an overly sad ending.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, sounds amazing. I just bought this through amazon b/c borders didn't have it and i couldn't wait. LOL But I hope it gets here soon. Great review.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it! :)

    I totally loved it as well and recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this. It sounds so interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...