June 18, 2012

Movie Monday: St. Trinian's

Book Cover St. Trinian's (2007) is an update of the old Belles of St. Trinian's films based on the cartoons of Ronald Searle.  Searle started drawing St. Trinian's girls after meeting a friend's sister and wondering what sort of school would produce her. The girls of St. Trinian's are the worst sort of troublemakers: the smart, inventive, motivated ones.

When Annabelle Fritton (Talulah Riley) is dropped off at St. Trinian's, she doesn't fit in.  Her aunt (Rupert Everett) might be the headmaster, but Annabelle is too uptight and law abiding to immediately bond with the girls.  But just as she begins to find a place for herself, the girls discover the new Minister of Education (Colin Firth) wants to shut the school down.  The only thing to do is cheat to win University Quiz and pull off an art heist.

Promotional still
This British cult comedy is absolutely hilarious.  I saw it with my dad and we were both cracking up.  I do recommend buying the DVD because the deleted scenes are pretty funny.  I see why some of them aren't in the final cut, but others I would've kept in the film.  I can honestly say that St. Trinian's is the only movie I've seen that made me laugh at someone kicking a dog.

The cast is essential to selling the black comedy.  Head Girl Kelly Jones was Gemma Arterton's (Quantum of Solace) breakout role.  Juno Temple is a rising indie star.  Jodie Whittaker (Attack the Block) plays an utterly incompetent school secretary.  Rupert Everett is unrecognizable as both Camilla and Carnaby Fritton.  (St. Trinian's does its part to keep the British drag tradition alive.)  Lena Headley (Game of Thrones, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles) is also unrecognizable as a mild-mannered teacher until she shows her St. Trinian's mettle during the climax.

Colin Firth, usually the dashing hero, does quite well as the hapless villain.  Plus, his presence allows for a number of Pride & Prejudice jokes.  (Three of the actresses have also appeared in P&P adaptations.)  But his star power never outshines the large female cast, which is only fitting.  Whenever they're onscreen, the girls of St. Trinian's steal the show.

If you're in the mood for a comedy, I recommend picking up a copy of St. Trinian's.  Now if only I could find the sequel for less than $25.

Another thing to recommend it?  The terrific pop soundtrack, which includes the theme "Defenders of Anarchy" by Girls Aloud.

4 comments:

  1. Yes! I enjoyed this film quite a bit, it has like every English actress.Obviously nothing high art but so much fun. I also love the soundtrack too, always a sucker for pop music. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the trailer for this once or twice and thought it sounded hilarious. I'm glad to see it lives up to it!

    I'm going to have to find a copy of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep an eye out! You can get it for fairly cheap.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...