June 20, 2012

Review: Violins of Autumn

Book Cover By Amy McAuley
Available now from Walker Books (Bloomsbury)
Review copy

A young spy is captured in Nazi-occupied France and interrogated about her mission.  No, this isn't CODE NAME VERITY.  It's VIOLINS OF AUTUMN, and the book may begin with a flash forward to Adele's interrogation, but her story begins a little over a month before in May 1944.

The Allies are poised to invade France at any moment.  Meanwhile, their spies must arm and train the French Resistance in preparation for D-Day.  Plain, unassuming Betty, now known as Adele Blanchard, is a courier.  Trustworthy and poker-faced, fluent in French and German, it is her job to pass secret messages throughout France.  It isn't long before things go wrong for her and fellow spy Denise, leaving them stranded in Paris with downed pilot Robbie.

I enjoyed VIOLINS OF AUTUMN despite not being a historical fiction fan.  (There is more than enough history woven throughout to thrill any World War II buff.)  A great deal of my goodwill is for Adele.  She's an admirable character.  She thinks fast on her feet and is extremely practical.  She's a young woman who knows that her decisions could result in her death or the deaths of others.  She begins the book armed with a poker-face, quick lies, and her training, but by the end she must use everything in her arsenal to survive.

There is, of course, romance.  Robbie, a sixteen-year-old, lied about his age to join the Air Force and is too soft for the situation he finds himself in.  Pierre, a handsome member of the French Resistance, thinks Adele is nothing more than a flighty girl.  I appreciated that Amy McAuley gave her heroine two love interests but didn't force a love triangle.  Adele is too busy fighting an underground war to worry about which boy she likes.

The missions were quite exciting.  Germans lurk around any corner, ready for any slip, from accidentally speaking in English to ordering black coffee.  (Due to rationing of milk and sugar, black coffee was assumed.)  Adele must complete her missions with little more than a bike and a notebook.

I also liked the friendship between Adele and radio operator Denise.  Denise is a little more impulsive than Adele, but she's a skilled spy in her own right and a good friend.  I've recently read a lot of books centered around female friendships and I really can't get enough of them.  Friendships last a lifetime, especially when your friend is the only person you can trust not to be a double agent.

Espionage, friendship, and romance all played out to the background of WWII.  If that doesn't appeal to you, then VIOLINS OF AUTUMN probably isn't your thing.  But given how many people love CODE NAME VERITY, I think there are quite a few people looking for just that.

8 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of WWII set fiction so this one looks exactly like a book I would love. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like there are a lot of WWII fiction fans. I hope you enjoy the book!

      Delete
  2. I hadn't heard of this one but like Marg, I too am a huge fan of WWII fiction. Thanks for such a wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'm glad I brought it to your attention.

      Delete
  3. I've been curious about this one for awhile. Your review makes me lean toward picking it up sooner rather than later. I love all of the elements you mention, especially friends being the only ones you can trust in your life not to be double agents. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my review helped you make your decision. I like stories about friends you can trust in any situation too.

      Delete
  4. Yay-I'm so excited to see a review of this! I've seen some mentions of it as a new release but no reviews to sate my curiosity. Since Code Name Verity was my favorite read of the year, I would love to get some more WWII in my reading diet in the hopes of getting another winner like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know which reviews will be a hit. It seems like a lot of people wanted to know more about this title! If you pick it up, I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...