June 1, 2012

Retro Friday Review: Sabriel by Garth Nix


Retro Friday is a weekly meme hosted at Angieville and focuses on reviewing books from the past. This can be an old favorite, an under-the-radar book you think deserves more attention, something woefully out of print, etc. Everyone is welcome to join in at any time! Angie includes roundups from participating bloggers in her post every week.


Book CoverBook CoverTo be honest, I don't know how to introduce SABRIEL.  I decided to feature it this week since I reviewed A CONFUSION OF PRINCES yesterday.  But if you're reading In Bed With Books then you're probably a fan of young adult literature.  And to YA fans, the first novel in Garth Nix's Abhorsen Trilogy is not obscure.  ACROSS THE WALL, an anthology set in the Abhorsen world, is slightly obscure.  But SABRIEL?  Well known, and for a good reason.

I remember reading it for the first time during a baseball game and being utterly enthralled.  (My family enjoyed going to baseball games.  Me, less so.  Thus I always went equipped with a purse full of books.)  Almost the next day, I went out and bought LIRAEL.  Unfortunately, ABHORSEN wasn't out yet.  When it came out I bought it in hardcover, which I almost never do.  That's how good the trilogy is.

Book Cover Sabriel is a necromancer, using her bells to prevent the Dead who won't stay dead from running amok in the Old Kingdom or, worse, escaping the Old Kingdom.  She's been living as a normal college student in neighboring Ancelstierre, but there's far more to her than that.  When her father, the current Abhorsen, becomes trapped in Death, it is up to Sabriel to rescue him.  Along the way she also rescues Mogget (a cat who is not a cat) and Touchstone (a ship's figurehead that is not a ship's figurehead).

SABRIEL is lush.  There's the struggle of good against evil and that of order against chaos.  There's romance, betrayal, death, humor.  This dark fantasy contains not only a richly realized world, but characters that linger in your mind long after you finish reading.

Luckily, the sequels LIRAEL and ABHORSEN live up to SABRIEL's promise.  You don't have to say good-bye to the fabulous cast when the book ends.  (You do, reluctantly, have to say good-bye after ACROSS THE WALL.  But there's always re-reading.)

If you haven't read SABRIEL, make a trip to your local bookstore or library.  You won't regret spending time with this amazing woman.  (And Touchstone ain't half bad himself.)  (Mogget is more than half bad, but he's got the humor to make up for it.)

8 comments:

  1. *sigh* I love this book. I love Sabriel and Touchstone and Mogget and the creepy, awesome world.

    Excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does anyone not love this book? I have so much to read, but just writing this made me want to reread the whole series.

      And I think Touchstone was one of my first literary crushes.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I think I'm up for a reread on these soon! I can't remember all of the loveliness that happens in Sabriel. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are basically reread every year books, aren't they?

      Delete
  3. I have not read these, but thanks for sharing about them. What a fun feature! I like finding some "older" classics. And Mogget sounds like my kind of character. ;-)

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you must read them! And Mogget is terrific.

      Delete
  4. I have read all of Garth Nix's Keys to the Kingdom series, and have had Sabriel out from the library but never actually read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, everything you've said, times 10. LOVE this book, the series, the world! Good news: Nix is working on another Old Kingdom book right now, called Clariel, I believe. It's supposed to be out in '13.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...