September 10, 2012

BBAW: Blogs I Enjoy


It's the first day of Book Blogger Appreciation Week!  The first daily topic is straightforward: write about book bloggers we appreciate.

Level 2 I'd like to start with some of the bloggers who inspired me to start my own blog.  Those ladies include Professor Nana of The Goddess of YA Literature and Rachel of The Book Muncher.  I once credited Lenore of Presenting Lenore as an influence, but it turns out my memory was faulty that day, as Lenore then pointed out that my blog was older than hers.  Either way, Lenore is a terrific blogger who once let me crash in her apartment and showed me around while I was in Germany.  I can't wait to read her debut novel, LEVEL 2, when it comes out next year.

When I first started my blog, I reviewed urban fantasy fairly frequently.  (Nowadays I tend to do that on The Good, The Bad and The Unread rather than here.)  But three urban fantasy reviewers really supported me through those early days.  I'd like to thank Amberkatze, Sidhe Vicious, and Tez Miller.  Tez and Amberkatze are still active bloggers.

Two blogs with features I really love are Stacked and Intergalactic Academy.  Stacked's reviews are long and informative and their articles are very well thought out.  They ran a "So You Want to Read YA . . ." feature this summer that was ingenious and I'm happy they're considering continuing it.  Intergalactic Academy has an ongoing Animorphs reread that I'm getting a major kick out of, considering Animorphs was my absolute favorite series as a kid.  (I still have a giant box full of the entire series.)  One of the contributors, Phoebe North, has a novel called STARGLASS coming out in July 2013 from Simon & Schuster.  (You can win a copy here.)  Given her (and her partner's) terrific insight into young adult science fiction, I'm sure it will be a fabulous read.

Two of my favorite bloggers are Lauren of Shooting Stars Mag and Cecelia of The Adventures of Cecelia Bedelia.  Lauren's taste isn't the same as mine, but I admire her.  She's organized some cool publicity for several great books and she started a scholarship program for LGBT students.  How awesome is that?  Conversely, Cecelia and I have very similar tastes, making her reviews super useful for me.  Plus she posts all kinds of mouthwatering recipes.  I highly suggest you take a whirl around her blog.

It would take forever to mention every single blog and blogger that I love.  But I can tell you how much time it would take me to list every blog and blogger I hate: no time at all.  Any group of people that loves books is alright by me.

Let's get BBAW off to a good start!  Why don't you tell me a little about yourself and your blog in the comments?  I'd love to add some new people to my blogroll.


25 comments:

  1. lol it's so funny that your blog is older than Lenore's and you thought she was an inspiration because that happened to me as well with the person I thought was my inspiration. I think they just inspired me to really make it work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't know how happy I am that I'm not the only person who has been confused like that. Our brains can play some strange tricks on us.

      Delete
  2. Ha - yes, I totally remember that. There aren't too many of us left from those semi-early days of book blogging. I can't believe it's more than four years already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it either! Five years is coming so quickly. I think it's amazing how much the book blogging world has changed in the time since we started.

      Delete
  3. Love this event even though I didn't know about it until today.

    I found so many new blog already INCLUDING YOURS...YIPPEE. NEW FOLLOWER here.

    GREAT BLOG.

    Have a fun week...going to check out the other blogs you mentioned.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following! I'm hoping to find a bunch of new blogs too.

      Delete
  4. I love BBAW! I JUST signed up yesterday & have already followed 5 new blogs :)
    Your list is wonderful and I have not visited ANY of them yet so i am about to discover new blogs to add my to my ever growing list..
    BBAW Day 1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad I could introduce you to a bunch of new blogs. BBAW is so much fun!

      Delete
  5. You know, I have never heard of Intergalactic Academy. Thank you for mentioning the blog - I'm off to add it to my Reader! And thanks for mentioning me (you are too sweet)! I put you in my post today too. We really *are* on the same wavelength. Crazy and/or awesome. Hope you enjoy BBAW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only found Intergalactic Academy a few weeks ago, but it's rapidly becoming one of my favorite blogs.

      It's so true! I trust your reviews completely because your taste is so similar to mine. I hope you have good BBAW too!

      Delete
  6. I'm excited that I recognize most of these blogs (and I'm excited for Lenore's book too!!). You're too sweet for mentioning my blog. I think yours is pretty amazing as well. I love the variety of books you feature and how you keep up with posting on a pretty regular basis. :)

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren!

      I feel like bloggers should make a countdown widget to Level 2. I think we're all excited.

      Delete
    2. S&S is supposed be doing a countdown widget ... I'll ask for a status update, ha! (also <3)

      Delete
  7. I really like Cecelia Bedelia too. I'll have to check out the others on your list. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Lenore's cat pictures! I'm also really looking forward to her novel. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to see Shooting Stars Mag being recognized! I'm off to visit some of these other blogs, who are new-to-me!

    Happy BBAW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredible list of new bloggers for me to check out! Happy BBAW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello.. I am Angie. I love to blog. I mainly blog about YA Books but there are some adult books mixed in there. This is my first BBAW and I have been having fun. I even joined at the last minute and was still able to get an interview with someone!! exiting! ! Well here is my list! Thanks for sharing the blogs you love!!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Angie! I'm glad you're enjoying your first BBAW.

      Delete
  12. Wow, you've probably been blogging for a while if your blog is even older than Lenore's! I think it's great that you mentioned several blogs, looks like you've made good friends throughout the years. :) I hope you're enjoying BBAW.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...