September 13, 2012

BBAW: Obscure Favorites


It's day four of Book Blogger Appreciation Week, and time to pimp some obscure books!  When I started writing my Best Authors You Aren't Reading feature, I didn't intend for it to be sporadic.  But I quickly figured out that defining obscurity was tough.  What if the book won an award but has few reviews on Amazon or Goodreads?  What if you can find lots of reviews but the book is out of print?  And how do you define "lots" of reviews?  How do 115 reviews of a book released in 2010 compare to 115 reviews of a book released in 2002?  So I don't want to pimp just one under the radar book, because it might not be so under the radar.  So here are three books I love, that as far as I know aren't well known.  All three are out of print, but copies are available for cheap through secondhand bookshops.

The China Garden THE CHINA GARDEN by Liz Berry

THE CHINA GARDEN made YALSA's Best Book for Young Adults list in 1997.  I first read it in 2001.  I'd noticed it on the shelf in the bookstore for years.  I was entranced by the cover, a ghostly figure moving down a sunlit path.  (I would, once I owned the book, realize it was a silhouette of a couple kissing.)  Then I found a copy for twenty-five cents in the library's book sale.  I eagerly bought it, but didn't read it immediately.  I read it for the first time in the car, moving from Houston to a Fort Worth suburb in the wake of my parents' divorce.

I then proceeded to read it everyday for a month, if not longer.

I don't know why THE CHINA GARDEN is what I needed.  It's a romance, about a good girl and a bad boy.  It's a story of family secrets - turns out the heroine Clare didn't even know her mother's real name.  (For that matter, she didn't know her own middle name.)  It's a tale of magic and things worth protecting.  It's delightfully English and incredibly sensual.

Or maybe I do know why I needed it.  It's about a girl whose mother takes her from everything she knows and moves her out to the sticks.  Clare had her life planned and suddenly she doesn't understand what's going on and why everyone knows things she doesn't.  It spoke to me, even if I wasn't at the age to want a boy with a motorcycle to come along and sweep me off my feet.

The Tricksters THE TRICKSTERS by Margaret Mahy

New Zealand author Margaret Mahy died this year, at the age of 76.  She left behind quite a legacy.  My three favorites, of the many books she wrote, are THE CHANGEOVER, MEMORY, and THE TRICKSTERS.  But THE TRICKSTERS is my absolute number one favorite.

I wrote about it here for Angieville's Retro Friday.

Don't want to follow the link?  That's fine.  I can list a few of the best things about the novel: a dreamer heroine, sinister strangers, unexpected twists, and conflicting, passionate desires.  It's not a simple novel, but one that rewards the careful reader.

Tell it to Naomi TELL IT TO NAOMI by Daniel Ehrenhaft

I have a soft spot for TELL IT TO NAOMI because it's one of the first books I read as an ARC.  (The very first was Sara Manning's GUITAR GIRL.)  I've always had a soft spot for it.  It's just a simple, cute novel about a guy pretending to be his older sister in order to write an advice column, as one does.  I only learned Daniel Ehrenhaft has written other books a year or two ago, and I still need to read them.  (He also writes under the name of Erin Haft.)

But I want to read his other books because TELL IT TO NAOMI has such a strong voice.  I can still remember details of the music Dave's family listened too.  Also, it was one book I know I like that counts as obscure under any definition you can think of.

17 comments:

  1. Interesting books, Liviania! :)
    Haven't heard about any of these before now, but I think I'll check out the links (thank you! <3) ...
    Tricksters sounds especially good~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a terrific novel. I hope you find a copy!

      Delete
  2. All the books sound interesting.. am going to check out China Garden first..and I will go ahead and click on the links :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my choices intrigue you! I hope you enjoy The China Garden when you find a copy.

      Delete
  3. CHINA GARDEN caught my eye.

    THANKS.

    Have a fun day.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing all those books! I hadn't heard of any of them before, and I'm definitely going to check out 1 or 2 by that New Zealand author you mentioned (sadly, I haven't read anything by an author from New Zealand).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read many New Zealand authors, but the ones I've discovered are fabulous.

      Delete
  5. The China Garden sounds amazing! Even the cover itself has a sort of sensual feel to it. I'll have to check out my local library to see if they've got a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the cover - it's what originally attracted me to the novel!

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed THE CHINA GARDEN, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to meet another fan! You're only the third (including myself) person who I know has read it.

      Delete
  7. I really likes the sound of The China Garden! I'd never heard of it before but sounds like my kind of book. Tell it to Naomi also sounds like one I might like. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you manage to track them down! They're both great novels.

      Delete
  8. Gotta love Margaret Mahy!! I haven't read The Tricksters yet, so will be adding it my list of books to be read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to meet another Mahy fan! What are your favorites?

      Delete
  9. THE TRICKSTERS sounds wonderful! Alas, my library is precious short on Margaret Mahy titles. :( I should have read more of her stuff when I lived in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! Maybe you can ask them to order some?

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...