September 9, 2012

Titles From the Same Source

Earlier in the year I wrote about a few YA titles that sounded rather similar that had been popping up on my radar.  Since then I've noticed a few more.

This is Not a Drill This is Not a Test

THIS IS NOT A DRILL by Beck McDowell (Nancy Paulsen Books, October 25) showed up unannounced and I slipped it into my TBR title.  But I keep slipping when I say the title and calling it THIS IS NOT A TEST, like the Courtney Summers book from St. Martin's that I reviewed in June.  Both are set in schools, but have little in common aside from that.  Well, both also have a title referencing automated warning systems.  The titles might cause some confusion for shoppers, but since the subject matter is so different a little knowledge of the synopsis should be enough to tell them apart.  (This is a situation in which a good librarian or clerk is likely to be more helpful than a search engine.)

The Fault in Our Stars Jepp, Who Defied the Stars

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green (Dutton) is already considered a modern classic and crossover success.  JEPP, WHO DEFIED THE STARS by Katherine Marsh (Hyperion, October 9) is getting some great reviews.  I'll be reviewing it for the official tour on October 2nd, as well as hosting a guest blog and giveaway.  Again, these are two very different books - one is contemporary; the other historical.  But both books' titles reference Cassius' famous admonition "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves" from William Shakespeare's Julius Caesar.  It's a great quote that suits both books well and considering how little they overlap, it shouldn't hurt either one.

Noticed any other recent titles that share DNA?

4 comments:

  1. I have a set of books that I can imagine getting confused:

    Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
    Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal
    Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde
    50 Shades of Gray by EL James

    I have confused the first two myself but have heard about the first and last book being confused (I've read the first three and they're great; not saying anything about the fourth!)

    I also confused Dorothy L Sayers The Nine Tailors with Mary Stewart's Nine Coaches Waiting-neither of which I was thought good.

    They're not YA but I think a YA audience could read most of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good ones! I think I've heard of another "shades" book lately, but can't think of it.

      Delete
  2. Just recently it seems I'm tripping across these similar titles, but I haven't seen or heard This Is Not A Drill ... however, now I'm curious and will have to go read more about it ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm used to tripping over similar titles, but it seems like it has been more than usual lately.

      I haven't read This Is Not a Drill yet, but it looks good.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! To reduce spam I moderate all posts older than 14 days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...